Sunday, January 20, 2008

Forced annulment keeps couple apart..

So I read this story on Yahoo today. It is very sad. The situation for women in Saudi Arabia is just awful in general.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Two years ago, a knock on Fatima and Mansour al-Timani's door shattered the life they had built together.

It was the police, delivering news that a judge had annulled their marriage in absentia after some of Fatima's relatives sought the divorce on grounds she had married beneath her.
Link to the whole story here. STORY

So here is what really bothers me. These people have it so bad. The women have to have permission from their family to marry. These people are FIGHTING to try to be able to have their family back together. Yet, here in America everyone I know gets divorced at a blink of an eye. I think it all comes down to respect. Respect for that other person in the marriage. If you respect that other persons feelings then you aren't going to yell at them or hit them. If you respect your partner you won't go cheat on them. If you actually mean to be married forever, then you work on problems when they come up instead of giving up. I have known two couples over the last year that "Fell out of love" with each other. AKA. Didn't work on keeping their love and relationship alive.

I know that I am not an expert. But I have been married for 7 years now and I think that is pretty damn good start. It hasn't been easy and I admit that at the beginning of it there were times I thought about walking out the door. So what is the nations problem that Americans have such a high divorce rate and a lack of respect for the other person? Maybe we are all spoiled brats that we have all these luxuries here. Just get divorced and move on. Get a new man. Now not to be labeled cold hearted, I do want to say that I am sorry for the person in the relationship that is the hurt one. The one who was cheated on, or treated awful.

I just found the above article something that made me feel grateful that I can marry my husband and love him forever and not have to worry that a family member could annul it for me.

No comments: