Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gardening 2012. Round 1

 A few weeks ago we got this load of compost from Missouri Organics. It has been a real challenge to keep the kids out of it. After all it is a giant pile of dirt. Except, if I pay for dirt, you don't get to spread it all over the yard. Sorry. :)  Ha ha! So, it is finally warm enough to plant some cool weather veggies so I made some beds and got to it.


 I planted Spinach, Kale, Radish and Lettuce. Then I started cleaning out the chicken house and putting about a 2 inch thick row of bedding mulch in between the beds. Both the beds and the mulch are about 2 feet wide. This is our first time trying it this way so I will report back if the chicken mulch stuff (which is pine bedding) keeps the weeds away.



I was getting a little help from my friends. This is Silvia. She is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. She is the head hen around here. She comes running to me when I am out there. You never know if I have some tasty treats for her. :)


No comments: