Monday, July 19, 2010
We have been working on fixing up the chicken tractor. First we did the tin on top to keep the predators out and provide shade. Then we needed nesting boxes. These weren't in the original designs because meat chickens don't need them. This chicken tractor is already made out of 80% recycled materials, so it is appropriate that the nesting boxes be as well. We screwed two milk crates to the wall. I lined the bottom of the crates with a wire screen cut to fit. Then I screwed a kick board in front of the boxes. Finally, I filled them with fresh bedding.
When I went out to check on the chickens this morning someone had been in the boxes. We don't have any eggs yet today, but I expect some by evening. Yesterday the boxes weren't installed yet so they laid on the floor. As you can see in the picture there is enough clearance for the food bin to be under the boxes. The wire screen in the boxes prevents bedding and poop to fall through and get in the food.